Monday, June 8, 2015

The Smell of Home

 I grew up along the east coast of the republic of South Africa The smell of the warm sea, the Indian Ocean to be more precise is unforgettable,  not being a marine expert, but when you approach the beach and the warm and humid air hits you with a bit of the salt spray it’s tremendous, I always feel as if I’m on holiday when whether I’m ankle  knee or waist deep in the sea waters, and after taking a few tumbles in its strong currents and feeling the salt water work its way through the nostrils may be unpleasant, but one still feels affection for the experience.
The vast fields of sugar-cane one sees as you travel the length of the Natal coastline, on a windy day from afar the leaves move in waves just like one large grassy ocean, and the sweet smell of unrefined sugar one gets as you approach the plantations is such a familiar smell to me, it’s the smell of home. 







No comments:

Post a Comment